Hola VPN is a browser plug-in that allows you to change your IP address and unblock geoblocked content on your PC/Mac. Hola does have its restrictions. It is also unsafe due to the fact that Hola has been selling its users’ bandwidth. Furthermore, Hola cannot be used on PS3, PS4, Xbox, Smart TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and other devices. Read this article for faster and safer Hola alternatives.
Hola VPN Proxy Alternatives
Hola VPN – Why Not?
- Hola is not a VPN provider in a technical sense. This means that your traffic is not encrypted when using Hola.
- Hola turns its users to exit nodes. Thus, other Hola users might surf the web using your IP address.
- Hola cannot be installed on most streaming devices. Apple TV, Roku, Smart TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Fire TV, Chromecast are all not compatible.
- Your Internet bandwidth takes a huge hit when using Hola.
Hola Alternatives: VPN or Smart DNS Proxy
There are two safer and faster alternatives to Hola. Reliable VPN providers or Smart DNS proxy. Either method helps you bypass regional restrictions. Once setup you will be able to access geoblocked content. This includes Netflix, Hulu, HBO, NBC, Showtime, BBC, and many more.
Hola Alternatives: VPN
Most geo-restricted websites detect your location by looking at your IP address. Hence, changing your IP address to US for example, unblock channels that are exlusively available in US.
- VPN allows you to get a US/UK/Canadian IP address among others.
- Connecting to a US VPN server unblock all American channels at once. Watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, Showtime, WWE Network outside US.
- It also encrypts all of your traffic. You will be able to surf the web anonymously. Your ISP will not be able to track your online activity.
- VPN apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, PC, and Mac make setting up VPN quite easy.
Here are the three fastest and most secure VPN providers.
Hola Alternatives: Smart DNS Proxy
Unblocking US/UK channels while keeping your local IP address is also possible using Smart DNS. This method does not re-direct all of your traffic. It simply takes care of the bits of your connection that reveal your location.
- Smart DNS can unblock geoblocked content from multiple regions simultanesouly. Watch UK BBC iPlayer and US Hulu at the same time for instance.
- Smart DNS is compatible with all streaming devices. Unblock American channels on Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Smart TV, Amazon Fire TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, PC, Mac, iPad, or Android.
- No Internet speed drop as your traffic is not routed to a VPN server.
If you want to give Smart DNS a try, get a free Unlocator account. Check out their setup guides. Unlocator supports over 211 geoblocked channels.
Hola Alternatives: VPN or Smart DNS Proxy?
Either VPN or Smart DNS is a better more reliable method to bypass geo-restrictions. Each solution has its advantages and disadvantages over the other. Check out this table for more info.
|Virtual Country IP. |
|Access All Sites in Geoblocked Country.|
|Unblock Social Networks.|
|Unblock All Netflix Regions|
|Bypass DNS Hijacking.|
|Bypass Transparent Proxies.|
|Data Encryption Protection.|
|No Internet Speed Reduction.|
|Compatible With All Devices.|
|Simultaneous Geo Locations.|
|Retain Local IP Address.|
|Instant Netflix Region Changes.|
Hola Alternatives – Conclusion
Both VPN and Smart DNS are safe workaround to unblock US channels and the likes on your favorite streaming device. Hola, even for free, is not worth the risk.