Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows PC and Mac all have VPN clients which makes installing VPN on them straight-foward. Other streaming devices do not have a VPN client. There is a workaround for this issue. Enable VPN on PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, or Smart TV. You have to setup a Virtual Server on your PC. Read the following guide on how to share VPN on all devices.
How to enable VPN connection sharing on PS3, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TV
Enable VPN via Network Sharing on Windows.
There are two ways to share your PC’s VPN connection on your PS3, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Smart TV, or any other streaming device.
Method 1: Share VPN connection from PC to Streaming device Via Ethernet Cable.
This method is suitable for devices that have an Ethernet port. (PS3, PS4, Xbox, Smart TV, Apple TV..)
- Go to “Network and Sharing Center” (Control Panel -> Network and Internet).
- Click on “Manage Wireless Networks” > Wireless Connections > Adapter Properties.
- Click “Change Adapter Settings” and navigate to Connection Properties.
- Check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer connection”.
- Connect to your VPN Server.
- Remember to connect your device to your computer via a WLAN cable. That is basically it.
Method 2: Turn your PC into Wifi Hotspot.
You can use Virtual Router to turn your PC into a Wifi Hotspot. This is suitable for streaming devices with not Ethernet port. (Amazon Fire TV Stick. Roku. Chromecast..)
Setup your Virtual Hotspot
- Download and install Virtual Server on your PC.
- Connect to the VPN server on your PC.
- Setup Virtual Router.
- Open the “Run” prompt by pressing Windows + R.
- Type “ncpa.cpl“. Then hit Enter or OK.
- In the Network Connections window, look for a network connection with the description “TAP-Windows Adapter V9”. Note the name of this connection. You will need it later.
- Launch the Virtual Router.
- Choose a Network Name and Password.
- Click “Shared Connection.” Choose the name of the connection you noted down in the network connections window.
- Finally, click “Start Virtual Router.”
Connect To Your Virtual Hotspot
The final step is connecting your streaming device to your virtual hotspot via its network settings.
VPN Connection Sharing – Final Thoughts
If all of this seems to complicated to you, you can always opt for Smart DNS which can be directly setup on most streaming devices.